Friday, May 28, 2010

To get better, draw what you like

It's no secret I love girls. Drawing them is nice too ;) In fact, I've drawn so many girls, that I have a whole section of my portfolio dedicated to them.

Here are some girly drawings from 2004, 2006, and 2010.










Not bad. And while I love the funky proportions in the first there is a clear progression of skill visible, illustrating a greating knowledge and control of form, proportion, and anatomy in my most recent work. I also think my understanding of design and composition principles is far greater now.

I show these not to congratulate myself. I still have a lot to learn. But I show these to illustrate a basic truth: that to get better at anything, you must love it more than anything else.

In drawing, for me, it's girls. For you, you may enjoy drawing anime, or Disney cartoons, or horses. And that's great. Draw them over and over again. In different styles and with different tools. And I guarantee, that within a month, that's 30 days, of continuous drawing, you will have become a better artist. That's because by drawing what you love, you hold yourself to a higher standard. You don't settle for anything less than your best, and you are your own worst critic when you fall short.

And the best part is, because you enjoy doing it, it won't feel like work.

No comments:

Post a Comment